Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Good Shepherd




"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep." John 10:11

As a parent, I see the serious responsibility of representing the character of God to my kids. Jesus is our Shepherd. Our Good Shepherd. Shepherds lead the flock to pastures where they can eat, and protect them from wolves that want to devour them, thieves who want to steal them. In fact, when Jesus said, "I am the door of the sheep" (John 10:7) he was illustrating how when a shepherd would lead their sheep into a cave or place like that to sleep, he would lay across the entrance of the cave making himself the door to the sheep. Nothing could get the sheep unless they made it past the shepherd. I am to be that door to my children. I am to protect them as much as I am able to from the enemy. Lord help me! Discernment. Wisdom. Boldness. Not to Compromise. To be aware of how I live, what I let into my home.


"And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him for they know his voice." John 10:4
It is my responsibility to raise my kids up to know the voice of Jesus. I need to train them up to know the Word of God and be able to discern whether things are from God or not. They need to hear God and follow His voice. They need their perceptions of how they view the world to be based upon God's truth. Lord help me! Consistency. Application. Training. Discipline. Application in my life.


"As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep." John 10:15
I need to know my Father. I need to know His will. I need to be on the same page as Him. I need to be in constant communication with Him, asking Him what I am to do in every situation. I need to follow His guidelines and His advice on training up my children. And I need to lay down my life for my children. Physically and Emotionally. When I feel like blowing up or loosing it, I need to lay down my life and pray, have patience, and lovingly deal with situations. When I am exhausted and my kids need my attention, I need to lay down my life and tend to their needs before my own. Lord Help Me! Sacrificial. Selflessness. Christ Like.


Thank You Lord that Your grace covers all that I do.
Thank you that you love my kids more then I do.
Thank You that You are willing to work through a mess up like me.
Thank You for Your patience, love, and example.
Thank You that You're not like me.
Thank You that I can come to You for advice, counsel, to just cry, and for rest.
You are My God.
You are my Shepherd.
Help me shepherd my children.





1 comment:

  1. Firstly I want to say your babies are gorgeous. They remind me of the innocence that comes from being a child.

    Your words are profound. One of my dear sisters in the Lord who has become a mother recently was discussing with me a similar topic to what you said above. The importance of shepherding a chiild's heat. It takes a lot of energy, time and patience.

    Be encouraged my sister, the Lord will continue to strengthen you. Your works are not in vain.

    God Bless you

    ReplyDelete