Wednesday, May 25, 2011

To be content... or not to be

It makes me smile how just a plate full of cherrio's can bring such a smile to my girls face. They get so excited they just squeal with joy. The clinch their little fists and grin and laugh. A bottle of juice can do the trick for hours of happiness. They take such joy in the little things.

This is a lesson the Lord has taught me over the years. I don't exactly recall how or when He taught me this, or if it just happened gradually as I grew closer to Him. It all comes back to joy. It all comes back to being satisfied in Him.


"Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am. I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want." Philippians 4:11-12 AMP
"Rejoice in the Lord always [delight, gladden yourselves in Him]; again I say, Rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 AMP

How do we apply these?
  1. Remember: Whatever you are going through is God's "best good" for your life
  2. Remember: Nothing touches you that hasn't passed through the loving fingers of your God
  3. Remember: YOU HAVE ETERNAL LIFE! In that alone, you should be able to rejoice!
  4. Repent: For thinking that you know what is best for your life, and that you have been ungrateful/unthankful for all that God has done for you
  5. Practice Contentment: Paul said that he "learned to be content". So can we!
Lord, thank You for dying on the cross to forgive me of my sins that I may spend eternity with You. Help me keep this heavenly perspective. Teach me how to be content. Bring to remembrance where you have brought me from and how much I have been forgiven. I take joy in You my Father! I take joy in the smiles and squeals of my daughters. I take joy in being able to hug my husband when he gets home from work. I take joy in having a home to come to every night. Yet, if all this was taken away, I still take joy in being able to communicate with you my God. I praise You for You are worthy!

Pregnancy Update: I am between 3 & 5 weeks. I get sick in the evening as well as bloated. I am for sure showing already, but in the evening I look REALLY BIG! haha. I am looking back at the previous posts in my blog from my first pregnancy and I have about the same symptoms I did them. Minor cramping, night time sickness, ect. Ultrasound next Thursday :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post today man! One thing I really like that you said and something I forget a lot... is that nothing touches me that hasn't passed through the loving fingers of my Father in heaven! If I could grasp that everyday and in any and all situations I face.. I KNOW that my approach to things would be a night and day difference. So I might just have to print that off and post it somewhere in my house as a constant reality check! I love you and I hope you have a most blessed birthday celebration tonight as you get time with Alex!! He is a lucky man :-) I will be standing by your side next Thursday! YAY!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mon Ami! To be content! AHH! That can be tough. Always learning that basic lesson. I sometimes learn it watching my own kids, as you had mentioned. My kids are over the moon about the smallest of things. Looking at the bigger picture, that Christ is with me and in me is really enough for any believer to be content :) Right on!

    ReplyDelete