Monday, January 24, 2011

How to Organize Baby Clothes


So here are some tips on how to organize all those baby clothes!
  1. Your Baby Doesn't Need A Million Outfits: Just like "grown-ups" I am sure that your baby has some outfits that are hanging up in their closet that you know you will never put on them, but you are just keeping them... just in case. Well, don't! Down-size as much as you can! Your baby honestly does not need ten sweaters, seven pink sweat pants ect. Just keep enough to not have to do laundry for a few weeks.
  2. Organizing By Months: So here is what I do. Buy some plastic tubs from Target or Walmart (the cheap ones will do). I bought 4 of them. I didn't use them all, but it's not a bad thing to have extra for toys, winter things ect. Put clothes in each bin and label them 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months ect. as high as you want to go. My twin girls turned 5 months a week ago and I pulled out all their 6-9 month clothes and put their 3-6 months clothes in a plastic bag, in a plastic bin. Putting them in a plastic bag allows you to squeeze all the air out of the bag and fit more into the bin.
  3. One Bin Rule: My personal rule is that if I have clothes for a 3 month period (3-6 months, 6-9 months) that don'tall fit in ONE plastic bin, then I need to get rid of more. There is only one reason to keep more then ONE plastic bin of clothes... that reason is: IF YOU HAVE QUADRUPLETS! Otherwise, you really dont need all those clothes
  4. Continually Go Through Clothes: Every three months when I need to pull out new clothes that fit, I go through the old outfits and the new outfits. Here are some things to ask yourself as you go through them:
  • Is the outfit stained beyond repair?
  • Did your child really wear it? Was it one of your favorite outfits?
So, now that you got rid of all the clothes you know deep down you don't need... how do you put them away? My husband and I share a room with our girls so here is what we do:
  • Sweat Shirts, Matching Outfits, Dresses: I hang these up in the closet. Depending on the season, I place the most frequently used toward the front. For instance, it is winter, so the sweatshirts are on the left and dresses on the right.
  • Shirts, Pants, Pajamas, Socks, Shoes, Hats ect: pretty much everything else I would place in a dresser. We don't have a dresser for our girls, so I place those items in fabric bins that I bought at Target. I labeled each bin so it is easier to find a piece of clothing you are looking for.
These are obviously just tips and tricks that I do. But I am ALL FOR DOWNSIZING!!!! There is really no reason to keep so many baby clothes (unless you have the previous excuse of quadruplets).







UPDATE 10-10-2012: I have three kids now and I STILL use this organization method. I am down to one bin for 0-6 month clothing now because I have realized that they grow out of that stuff SO SO FAST!! 

UPDATE 06-20-2013: I am about to have my fourth baby and I STILL use this method. Love it. Works for me. Never have changed it. Still go through clothes every three months and still am able to fill garbage bags full of unneeded clothes to give away every three months. 

This really is the best organization system I have tried that works for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment