Friday, September 1, 2017

Child Training and Homeschooling When You're Out For the Count

I wrote this post when I had just gotten out of the hospital last week. Things as far as my health goes have gotten much worse. One of which being my ability to communicate. Another is my ability to walk.

We no longer believe I had a migraine, but we now believe something is wrong with my brain. Time will tell what is actually going on, but this post was what we did last week. 

Enjoy!

________________________________________


As you might have read last week, I had a very rare migraine called a hemiplegic migraine or a complex migraine last week that took me OUT! Literally lost feeling on the left side of my body and left me disorientated and unable to get out of bed for several days.

My husband came up with an awesome plan to keep the kids occupied and to challenge them in their character's and wisdom. 

He decided for each day, the older kids would rotate being in charge. They would come up with a plan for the whole day that included educational feats, managing the chores and meals in the house, and some fun activities to keep everyone occupied and entertained until dad got home in the afternoon.

Alex, of course, set them up for success by making sure the house was clean before the kids went to bed as well as making and packing a lunch for all of us in the fridge so we could just pull it out and eat it. 

Alecia stepped up to the plate the first day. Long before I woke up she put her plan in motion with toasted bagels for breakfast, phonics for my 4-year-old, and a short math lesson for my 5-year-old followed by a group reading time of library books. She then delegated chores to each child while putting on an educational film for the 1-year-old. With the house clean, and some great learning activities accomplished, the kids retreated to their room for an hour of educational films until their dad came home. 

Ahavah took on the second day... let's just say we see what areas she needs more training in...




What an amazing learning and growing experience!

I got to see my children work through so many things including:

(1) Creating and executing a plan
(2) Working through issues patiently 
(3) Team work, even when the youngest one's didn't want to cooperate
(4) Taking responsibility for others in the household other then themselves
(5) Communicating expectations and frustrations in an effective and adult-like manner
(6) Taking personal responsibility for what did or didn't get accomplished
(7) Learning how to report progress to their "supervisor" aka their dad at the end of the day
(8) Inspecting and discussing the responsibilities that were delegated to the other children
(9) Preparing them for future babysitting jobs or any jobs really

I don't know what the days and weeks ahead hold, but I'm excited to share what life can look like when you're temporarily disabled. 



1 comment:

  1. So impressive, Cassie! You are such a great mom! BTW, I deal with Complex-PTSD as well as nighttime epilepsy. It stinks, but thank goodness our God is mighty and powerful! I will pray for diagnosis, as it is the unknown (and the tricks that the enemy like to play during the unknown) that is the worst. May He continue to give you peace.

    ReplyDelete