Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Our Favorite Math Curriculum: Math-U-See Review

As a mom and teacher of soon-to-be 6 beautiful children, I have some specific things I look for in a Math curriculum.

(1) Open and Go
(2) Compatible with all learning styles
(3) Doesn't take more then 30 minutes a day
(4) Fairly independent for students
(5) Allows child to progress past their "grade" level or slow down to understand struggle areas
(6) Does NOT include Common Core Standards
(7) Lays a strong foundation for practical, every day use of Math

*At the bottom of this post I expound on how Math-U-See meets all our family standards for a math curriculum*



Our Story
Our first exposure to Math-U-See was at a homeschool conference. We had been praying and looking for something other then the frustrating curriculum we were using at the time that was dry, only worked for my oldest two students, and had many confusing aspects to it. I'll admit we were a bit skeptical of Math-U-See for several reasons, but we took the plunge and tried it out.

Last year my two 6-year-olds and 4/5-year old (she turned 5 half way through the year) completed Alpha (the second book in the Math-U-See series).  I was amazed at how my 4/5year old who I thought would forever struggle with math EXCELLED using this curriculum beyond what I thought capable for her. I mean hidden genius excelled!

So this year we received Beta for our 3 oldest girls (age 7,7,5) and Primer for our 4-year-old from Math-U-See to review. Once again, I am blown away at how this curriculum truly meets all our standards for a Math Program, and works for each and every one of my children no matter how diverse their thinking and learning styles are.

With me being pregnant with our 6th child, and now homeschooling 4 of our children, Math-U-See makes it so simple and not overwhelming to teach math and utilizes all the learning styles of my growing number of students and truly accommodates everyone perfectly (including busy, juggling mommy!) ;)



The Heart of Math-U-See

Please click here and watch their video on how their products work.


Why do we learn math? Really, it's to do word problems. To have real life application. Why do we learn decimals? It's to handle money. Why do we learn fractions? So we can do measurements. All this is for REAL LIFE application.

How do we make math applicable? By knowing math facts. Math-U-See focuses on children KNOWING formulas and math facts like the back of their hand so they don't have to spend time counting or figuring problems out; math will come with complete ease and confidence.

However, Math-U-See knows it's important to understand why we do things a certain way and when to apply certain facts and figures. This program seeks to give the child understanding of math concepts using all their senses and learning styles. 

Math-U-See works with any homeschooling style whether you teach using the Charolette Mason approach, Unit studies, classical studies, unschooling, or the traditional homeschool approach. It's truly a very versatile system. You can read more about that here.




What Math-U-See Includes
What Math-U-See is most known for is their block sets. There is one main integer block set that is used for all the math levels, then there is a fraction overlay kit, and an algebra/decimal kit.



There are different "set" options that offer a bit of a discount if you are ordering your first books that include the blocks. All these options can be viewed at http://store.mathusee.com/catalog/math-u-see/.





Let's look at the Beta sets, since that is one of the products I am reviewing.


(1) Universal set: Includes Instruction Manual with complete solutions, Instruction DVD, Student Workbook, Tests booklet, Integer Block Kit, and 12 months of access to their new Beta Digital Pack, which includes the Skip Count Songs MP3s and Songbook PDF. 


(2) Beta Level up set: for people who already own the block set. This includes  Instruction Manual with complete solutions, Instruction DVD, Student Workbook, Tests booklet, and 12 months of access to their new Beta Digital Pack, which includes the Skip Count Songs MP3s and Songbook PDF. 


(3) Student Pack: Basically includes the work book and test book


Click here to view prices.



Here's an example of the Instructor's Guide for Beta:



Here's an example of the Primer Instruction Guide:






















You can also purchase the Skip Count book and CD which I highly recommend! It has coloring pages and really catchy songs to help your kids memorize their math facts and counting by 2's, 3's ect.






A Day of Math-U-See In Our House
Break out the books, the blocks, the crayons, pencils, erasers, and the lap top (for the video lessons), and we're ready to go!

I usually start my morning with my Primer student, my 4-year-old son. Primer doesn't have any tests which I like. We simply do a few pages a day until I feel I've lost his attention. He traces numbers, learns that each number is connected to a physical amount of something, he learns his shapes, he learns basic addition concepts ect. It's perfect for introducing math to a preschooler or kindergartener. 



I then break out my Beta student's books and read through the preparation for the lesson their on, we watch the video for their lesson together, we do a few practice problems, and I write down what pages I want them to accomplish! That's about it. Like I said, easy, pretty independent and takes us usually around 30 minutes.

The girls pass me their books, I correct them (Answers in the back of the Intrsuctor's Manuel) and circle the wrong ones in red for them to correct. When they're done, I write the date on the front page of their workbook and we put the books away for the day.

I do have one child that requires a bit more hands on instruction, but after that she is as independent as the other kids. 

You can see on one of my twin's (7-year-old) sheet they have lessons skipped. This is because I felt like they mastered the concept and could move on without completing all the assignments. This allows my children to move on when their not challenged and stop when they are... 

... like this child. She finishes every single assignment and then I print more practice sheets off the Math-U-See website when she needs extra practice. 


Breaking It Down


(1) Open And Go: There isn't much prep work for the teacher. The Instructor's Guide gives written step-by-step teaching instructions and most of these are gone over in the Instructional DVD. There are also different activities and games that can be exercised to give your child a better understanding of the concept at hand.

(2) Compatable with all Learning Stlyes: Includes blocks, videos, verbal instructions for the teacher, and written examples and directions in the work books to reinforce learning in every way possible. The blocks are truly the piece that makes this cirriuclum. They aren't like any other math manipulative I've ever seen or worked with. They're strategically a certain size and color and create a powerful visual for so many mathematical applications. The blocks give the child a visual understanding of what math looks like. By the end of each lesson they are independent of block use and can do problems mentally with speed and accuracy (No they don't become dependent on the blocks for life). 

(3) Doesn't Take More then 30 minutes A Day: We aim at finishing 2-3 worksheets a day depending on how well the child understands and excels at the lesson. With the instruction and worksheets, this rarely takes more then 30 minutes a day. We can adjust how much we want to do since there is no strict layout of what needs to be accomplished in a given day (see point #5).



(4) Fairly independent for student: My older kids put on their instructional video and build along with the teacher. This is usually all they need in order to progress onto their worksheets for that lesson. I simply write down what pages I want them to accomplish and they can do it all (for the most part) independently of me. My 4-year-old obviously needs me at his side the whole time, but we usually only do about 15 minutes together a day.

(5) Allows child to progress past their "grade" level or slow down to understand struggle areas: There are no grade levels in Math-U-See; there is no calendar with what needs to be accomplished in a given day or week. The freedom in this is FANTASTIC! I'll admit it bothered me a bit at first until I started using Math-U-See and really comprehend the benefit of this approach  If I have a child struggling to memorize their math facts, they can stay in Alpha for 1 year, 2 years... doesn't matter! Once they're ready, they move to Beta. No loss! They're learning math! If I have a student that blows through Alpha, then Beta, they could move all the way through Calculus years before they graduate. Again, no loss!

 My older kids can finish a whole lesson in a day if they understand the concept, or they can spend a few weeks in an area until they master it. My 5-year-old can be doing math at a 2nd-3rd grade level and keep working ahead without being held back by a proper "age-correct" label of 1st grade. The website offers additional practice material if needed and the Teacher's Guide offers more activities and games that solidify concepts.

(6) Does NOT include Common Core Standards: This is a make-it or break-it point for our family. Math-U-See teaches math the way it's always been taught, yet finds way to break it down into concepts that aren't as damaging as those of Common Core Math. Thank you Math-U-See! Please never comply to the wave of "new math"!

(7) Lays a strong foundation for practical, every day use of Math: Most American's don't know this, but in other countries and even in the foundations of America when we were #1 in the world as far as education goes, little ones were primarily taught to memorize their math facts.


1+1= 2
2+2 = 4
8+4 = 12

The entire book of Alpha is geared to memorize the addition and subtraction facts. This lays an AMAZING foundation for the proceeding books and your student's math journey! Beta is now effortless since the child can tell you any math fact at the drop of a hat, without adding or subtracting on their fingers. I don't see this in really any other math curriculum anymore and appreciate this so much!

Conclusion
I am amazed at how much our family loves Math-U-See. We plan on using it for all of our children from Primer all the way to Calculus. I truly believe in this system and see the maturity in my kids compared to other kids their age and older.



No comments:

Post a Comment