Saturday, January 11, 2014

Too Soon

Sometimes I get frustrated. 
Yes, it's true. 
Sometimes I raise my voice. 
Sometimes I react in anger. 




In those times, I draw away and I call up my Father (I'm not talking about my earthly Father here, although sometimes I call him. After all, his son (my little brother) is younger then three of my kids). "Dad! How do I deal with this? Can You give me some of Your wisdom? How do I deal with _____?"

Then I remember...

How frail and temporary are the sweet little voices asking to be held, asking to open the marker and close the marker, showing me with great persistence and enthusiasm that they found the socks that match!

How much I will miss snuggling up with my baby boy at 3am in the morning because I just can't handle the screaming another 40 minutes, and nursing him and he caresses my face and puts us both to sleep.

How sooner then later the fights over whose toy is whose may turn into more serious fights between older siblings about serious issues (Man, I hope not!).

How the nights will soon cease when Hayven has trouble falling asleep and I get to make her a bed with lots of pillows and soft blankets and library books next to my bed on the floor and I get to lean over the edge of my bed and watch her snuggle and read; her little voice whispering in the night, until we both doze off.

Too soon will the tutus and plastic high heel shoes be exchanged for wedding dresses and real heels.

Too soon will my son, who wants me in his sight at all times, be making decisions like joining the military, or moving his family oversees to join the mission field, or going to school to be a police man, or becoming a rock star in a band and traveling the world!

Too soon my entourage won't be hanging on every end of the grocery kart with their little heads, feet, and arms flailing all over the place!


So I often post these posts about enjoying the every day life, moment by moment. I think, as American's, we crave a more simple life. One's that's not so fast-paced and one that finds joy in the little things of life. 

Enjoy the boo boos, the laughs, the cries, the long, exhausting nights (and MAN I have a LOT, LOT, LOT of those), the marker all over the kitchen floor, the growing personalities, the changing characters, the breaking up of fights, the molding of your children's hearts and perspectives... 


What an honor!
What a privilege!
What a joy!

To raise kids to follow after Jesus.
To disciple future wives and husbands, pastor's and nurses, missionaries and lawyers!

Call up Your Father and ask Him for advice. But here is what He told me:

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthymeditate on these things. Philippians 4:8


Thank You, Father, for the children You gave me! 
Forgive me for complaining. 
Forgive me for losing my patience.
Forgive me for focusing on myself and how I feel instead of You and my kids.
I really am so, SO, SO thankful for each of my kids!
I wouldn't trade them for anything!
Give me Your Grace and Strength and Power to disciple them.
Help me meditate on what's true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of virtue, and praiseworthy when it comes to my role as a mother and wife. 
Thank You! 
You're SO worthy of praise! 

1 comment: