Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Titus 2:3-5 Study: Reverent in Behavior




Titus 2:3-5 
"The older women likewise, that they be
reverent in behavior
not slanderous,
not given to much wine,
teachers of good things --
that they admonish the young women
to love their husbands
to love their children,
to be discreet,
chaste,
homemakers,
good,
obedient to their own husbands,
that the word of God may not be blasphemed."

Reverence
a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; 
the outward manifestation of this feeling;
godly fear

Respect
esteem for or a sense of worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability; 
to hold in esteem or honor; 
to show regard of consideration for; 
to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with

We are to reverence God:
"God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, 
and to be held in reverence by all those around Him."
Pslam 89:7

"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken,
let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably
in reverence and godly fear."
Hebrews 12:28

We are to reverence our husbands:
"Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; 
and the wife see that she reverence her husband."
Ephesians 5:33

We are to reverence our authorities:
"Then Bathsheba bowed with her face to the earth,
and did reverence to the king, and said,
'Let my lord king David live forever.'"
1 Kings 1:31

"... one who rules his won house well, having his children
in submission with all reverence."
1 Timothy 3:4

In order for me to be reverent to God, I must continually:
 * Be reminded of His character
* Spend time getting to know Him
* Worship Him

I do all this when reading my Bible and doing Daily Devotions.

I meditate on how My God is:
Good
Powerful
All-knowing
Merciful
Gracious
Protective
Jealous for me
Thinks Great Thoughts for Me
Loves me with an Everlasting Love
Has a plan for my Life
Has gifted me
Equipts me and empowers me

When my relationship with this God is squared away, He gives me:
His heart to love my husband the way He does 
His eyes to see my husband the way He does
His peace to trust my husband with the decisions he makes
His Spirit to reverence my husband the way He wants me to
His wisdom to shepherd my children the way He wants me to


So what does this look like in my everyday life?

* Daily Devotions: 
"...for Your Word has given me life." Psalm 119:50b
"You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your Word." Psalm 119:114
"Hold me up, and I shall me safe..." Psalm 119:117a

Currently my daily devotions consist of, in the mornings:
(1) reading "scriptures of the day"
(2) reading Charles Spurgeon's Morning & Evening Devotional
(3) reading the Proverb that correlates with the day of the month 

Then during nap time I will:
(4) Read the upcoming passage we will be studying on Sunday or Thursday
(5) look back over my notes from last Sunday or Thursday
(6) Do a study on a book of the Bible

Prayer:
What better way to worship and gain reverence for your God then to spend time conversing with Him. Here are some things that I do:
(1) Set aside a specific time during the day where I pray for specific things
(2) Continually, all day long bring my petitions, worries, and thanksgiving to the foot of Jesus
(3) Grab a book with written prayers and read them every time I go number two use the bathroom for a longer period of time. (Power of a Praying Wife, Power of a Praying Mother,Life Changing Moments with God)

* Obedience:
Just start showing your husband reverence! Here are some practical ways you can do this:
(1) Include your husband in your decisions
(2) Use a respectful tone when talking to him
(3) Don't yell at him or roll your eyes at him
(4) Lovingly repeat things if he needs you to (something I struggle with a lot)
(5) Speak well of him in front of others and NEVER speak bad of him
"She does him good and not evil all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12
(6) Respect his wishes (If he doesn't want to talk about it, leave it alone; if he doesn't answer your question right away, wait; if he likes meat with EVERY MEAL, make him meat with every meal ect)
(7) Prefer him over others (except God)
(8) Laugh with him and show him you enjoy his presence
(9) Tell him all the things he is doing well and pray over the things that bother you about him

God, teach me how to be a woman of reverence. 
It's only through Your Spirit that I can apply these practical things into my daily lives.
God, I give you my most special place in my heart.
I want to fall more in love with You.
I want to be so madly in love with You that I can't go a day without hearing from You!
Work these things into my heart and life.
Teach me to be reverent. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment