I was originally going to make sourdough cinnamon rolls with my whole grain sour dough started I had, but I killed my sourdough starter the morning I was going to make these...
SoOoOoo I found this recipe and added a few tweeks of my own:
1c coconut milk (or almond milk)
2 1/2 tsp yeast
2 to 2 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour (I only made these once and used bread flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tablespoons organic pumpkin puree (or applesauce, or banana) (don't worry it wont taste like pumpkin)
Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
Organic chopped walnuts
Organic Brown Sugar
Organic Powdered Sugar
(However much you need to make the consistency you want)
So here are the steps...
(1) Heat up the milk so that it is just lukewarm. Then stir in the yeast and let sit.
(2) Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt cinnamon) in a bowl
(3) Mix in the yeast and milk concoction
(4) Add the pumpkin puree (applesauce or banana)
(5) Knead well and then roll out into a rectangle about 12 inches X 14 inches or so
(6) Spread on coconut oil and sprinkle with all the filling ingredients (don't be too stingy!!)
(7) Carefully roll the 12x14 square into a log shaped... thing...
(8) Cut out individual cinnamon rolls and place in a greased baking sheet
(9) Let the rolls sit in a warm room for a few hours until they have risen (or overnight in the fridge and then out in the morning)
(10) Pop in the oven that is at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes
**You want these slightly undercooked and gooey!!! :)**
(11) Then add the frosting when they have cooled a bit
(12) ENJOY!!! With a hot cup of Organic coffee, or a cool glass of almond milk... mmmmm.....