Friday, April 6, 2018

Getting Your Milk Supply Off To A Great Start


Here are some tips and tricks (as a mama of 6) that I've used to get a LARGE milk storage in my freezer as well as get my milk supply off to a great start.

This is an average pump after a feeding.

  • Once Milk Comes In, PUMP! Right when that milk comes in, start pumping after every feeding- even through the night. Yes, it seems like a daunting task, but you should be in bed (or at least at home) resting from your labor and delivery anyway. I pump after every single feeding for about 2 weeks or so, then I start tapering it down to 1-2 times a day during the 3rd and 4th week.
  • Water and Food: Please drink LOTS of water and eat LOTS of food high in calories, fat, protein, nutrients.
  • Organic Raw Milk: If you can get raw milk, drinking 2-4 large glasses of this a day really boosts your milk supply.
  • Sleep: Taking naps (I know it can be hard, I have 6 kids!!) makes a big difference in your nursing and milk supply levels. 
  • Dont Stress: Enjoy the chaos, cancel most of your plans and tasks, enjoy nursing, pumping and building up your storage and milk supply. It's going to save you stress and time in the long run mama!
  • Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Tincture: Not only do the herbs selected for this tincture increase and support a LARGE milk supply, but they also help with colic babies! I can tell when I have forgotten to take this tincture since Evelyn will be a bit more gassy then normal. My sister has said the same thing with her newborn. (You can get 10% off using to code: NOGREATERJOY2018)




Now take a look at my stash now that Evelyn is 1 month old! 

2 drawers and the whole fridge door full... soon this freezer may be exclusively for breast milk!

It's INSANE RIGHT?!

What do I do with all this milk?

  • Babysitters: I never have to worry about needing to be apart from Evelyn in the next year.
  • Sicknesses: Ear infections or really any sickness that comes I can warm up a bottle of this nutrient, antibody rich milk for any of my children in a flash
  • Other Moms: I have used my milk supply to help other moms who need some supplemental feedings for their infants
I suppose there are many other creative things you can do with this liquid gold.


I love being able to provide my baby with the healthiest (cheapest) options that I can and starting my child off to a great start with breast milk is one of the ways I can do that! YAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment