Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Titus 2:3-5 Study: Teachers of Good Things




Titus 2:3-5 
"The older women likewise, that they be
reverent in behavior
not slanderous,
not given to much wine,
teachers of good things --
that they admonish the young women
to love their husbands
to love their children,
to be discreet,
chaste,
homemakers,
good,
obedient to their own husbands,
that the word of God may not be blasphemed."

Teach: 
to impart knowledge of or skill in
to give instruction
to inform, enlighten, discipline, drill, indoctrinate, educate

Teachers:
one who is fitted to teach


Matthew 28:19-20
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you;
and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."


Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (Read 8-9 too)
"And these word, which I command you this day,
shall be upon your hearts:
And you shall teach them diligently to your children,
and shall talk of them when you sit in your house,
and when you walk by the way,
when you lie down,
and when you rise up."



SO, WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE FOR US??

James 3:1
"My brethren, let not many of you become 
teachers, 
knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgement."

When we teach, we are held responsible for the things that we teach. If we do not teach the Word of God correctly, then the people we are teaching will be led astray, and you will have to bear that responsibility. As teachers, we need to be sure that we are teaching the Word of God and NOT OUR OWN OPINIONS OR DOCTRINES!

Simply Teach the Word of God Simply.

Discipleship.
We know that Jesus had 12 disciples. 
(1) They followed Jesus everywhere and simply watched how he lived
(2)They listened to Jesus teach them 
(3) They applied his teachings with him there to correct them
(4) Eventually, some of them went on to disciple others


I am not a teacher!
I am not a pastor's wife or a preacher's daughter!
Who can I be teaching?
Am I even able to teach?

Hebrews 5:12
"For though by this time
you ought to be teachers,
you need someone to teach you again the first principles
of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food."

Like my husband said in the message I posted last week, if you have been walking with the Lord even a little longer then someone else, YOU ARE ABLE TO TEACH!

You DON'T need to have it "all together" before you begin teaching.

If anything, I always tell people that I will teach them at least one thing:
How to fall on their knees in repentance when they mess up.



Some things to ask yourself:
(1) Am I reading God's Word and applying it to my life?
(2) Am I teaching the Word of God to my children?
(3) Is there someone in my church, neighborhood, or sphere of influence that I could be hanging out with more, disciplining them in the things of the Lord?

(4)Why am I afraid to do this? What's holding me back?
   Pride?
   How I treat my husband/kids?
   Am I ashamed of my relationship with the Lord that I don't feel like I would teach anyone anything good?



My God,
I am always so amazed that you know me,
my failings, 
my struggles, 
my weaknesses,
yet You desire to use me.
Lord, please show me how I can apply Your Word 
by teaching and discipling those around me.
Show me things in my life that are not being an accurate representation of You.
Give me wisdom and sweet ideas on how to teach Your Word to my kids.
I want to honor You.
Amen!

I REALLY encourage you to listen to this teaching on Hebrews 5 as well as these two teachings on discipleship if you haven't already done so.




No comments:

Post a Comment