Friday, October 6, 2017

What the Library Summer Reading Program Means To US

I simply don't have time to take advantage of every program there is. I'd LOVE to, but with soon to be 6 children, I simply need to pick and choose. 



Growing up, I remember my mom forcing us to take part in our library summer reading program. It took me a few years, but once I found books I LOVED reading and realized the prizes I could win, I got really into it. I remember spending whole afternoons lost in a pile of books filling in my clocks for the time I spent reading. I remember working toward earning those prizes. 






















My kids LOVE to take advantage of our city's reading program. Every year they get their names into the drawing for large prizes as well as work toward earning prizes such as books and notebooks.

Last year, Ahavah earned State Fair Tickets. 



This year, Alecia won 5 Twins Game tickets.






Ahavah won 4 State Fair Tickets.






Hayven won 2 Water Park Tickets.






This is such a blessing to my family for several reasons!

(1) It reinforces the love for reading that I am yearning for my kids to have.

(2) It pushes my kids to do things and read things they've never done before to get points on their summer reading sheet (try a new vegetable, read a book about someone who doesn't live like you, explore your neighborhood with all 5 senses)

(3) It gives my children a sense of earning something and working toward something that they did themselves

(4) It allows my family to participate in local events we wouldn't be able to afford!






Do YOU take advantage of local programs such as this one?

What is your experience??


No comments:

Post a Comment