Friday, July 5, 2013

34W 5D And So It Begins & My Birth Plan

Yesterday, July 4th, at exactly 2pm, I started having contractions every. three. minutes. 

I am STILL having contractions every. three. minutes. 
About every 4th-5th is really strong, but the rest are still pretty painless. 

I had my appointment today with a midwife I have never met before. I told her what was going on and she had looked over my file. Let's just say on paper, I look like a terribly scary patient.

Anyways she checked the size of the baby and was very impressed! She said, "Well for having premature babies they sure are a great size I bet! This one is over 5lbs!" Then she checked me and I am dilated to 1cm and 60% effaced. It's hard to tell if these contractions are real labor or false labor. I had explained how my last pregnancies went and how I feel about this one. That is the one things I really respect about midwives. They actually listen to you and what you think is going on. 

I explained my last pregnancies and how I am literately RIGHT. ON. TRACK. I will probably contract consistently for a week (at the most) and this baby will be out before I am 37 weeks, but will be a big, healthy baby. Surprisingly, she was in agreement with me :)

Of course, it's always recommended that I hold out as long as possible; which, I am doing all I can do make this a reality. 

So here I am. Contracting every. three. minutes. It's such a strange feeling. I remember with Hayven this went on for days before I actually went into hard labor. 

I definitely don't match your "textbook pregnancy", but I think it just goes to show that medical science often fails and has oh so many flaws. Every woman is different. Every pregnancy is different. I don't believe every woman should carry a baby for 40 weeks. Some 36 weeks is full term. For some 43 weeks is full term. 

I am not getting steroid shots. 
I am not getting tribu... whatever that stuff is that stops contractions.
I would LOVE to make it to 37 weeks so I can do a water birth, but I would much rather listen to my body and let it do what it does. 

This brings me to the second part of this post:
My Birth Plan

I was so hesitant to actually make this because I figured it would just be a waste of time. 
Here is my bias, completely not experience related perspective on birth plans:

  1. No one will actually follow it anyways
  2. I go into "preterm labor" so I don't get privileges "full term" mom's do
  3. I will have to re-explain what I want to people regardless of if it's on file or not because they either won't bother to read it, or they will just ask anyways... you know how hospitals are...
BUT... I was advised today that it would be a good idea to have it on file if I am really trying to go for a labor and delivery free of drugs and free of too much intervention. 

...ohh.... strong contraction.... wait for it ....

Okay back!

So here it is:



A few things I wanted to note about this pregnancy that I forgot to last time was:

My tattoos have been itching and raising only where the ink is
&
I have experiened carpel tunnel in my wrists since about week 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment