Sunday, February 10, 2013

Teaching the Kids

I am currently teaching a class of 3-4 year olds at my church in the Children's Minsitry. Our children's ministry goes right through the Bible from beginning to end, just how our pastor teaches the Bible book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse.

We had one of our dear friend's daughter Zoe over for a few days a couple weeks ago.

Zoe and Hayven having quiet time while I did school with the twins

I was encouraged by something I read in Psalms and I want to share this email to the Children's Ministry Leader:

____________________________________________

As I was reading through Psalms this morning I came to this passage:

Give ear, O my people, [to] my law; 
Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. 
I will open my mouth in a parable; 
I will utter dark sayings of old,Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us.
We will not hide [them] from their children, 
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD,
 And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
For He established a testimony in Jacob, 
And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers, That they should make them known to their children;
That the generation to come might know [them], 
The children [who] would be born, 
[That] they may arise and declare [them] to their children,
That they may set their hope in God,
 And not forget the works of God, 
But keep His commandments;
And may not be like their fathers, 
A stubborn and rebellious generation, 
A generation [that] did not set its heart aright, 
And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
Psalm 78:1-8

As our pastor has been talking about recently, our country has gotten so far from God and His ways. Most children do not even know the name of Jesus and are not going to church. Their parents aren't teaching them the things of God. The public school system is teaching them the OPPOSITE of what the Bible says. And, it is my personal belief that this is one of the main causes for where our country is: the children have not been taught the ways of the Lord. They grew up to have children who know NOT of God! 

But... we still have hope... with the kids! "That they may NOT BE LIKE THEIR FATHERS a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation that did not set its heart aright, and whose spirit was not faithful to God."

I just want to encourage to give your kids in your class your all! Be diligent in teaching them about the character and the works of our great God! The kids in your class with affect so many other people in their lives. Don't failto give them the FULL COUNSEL of the Bible. Don't be lazy in your studies, but pour all you can into these little ones that they may "set their hope in God and not forget the works of god, but keep His commandments and not be like their fathers."

I hope this is encouraging to continue steadfastly in the ministry that you have been appointed to. 

_____________________________________________

Hayven in her animal jacket. 
All four girls about to watch the Jesus Movie that correlated with our study from the morning

This is an encouragement to you as a parent too!
I am a firm believer in homeschooling kids, but even if you are unable to for some reason, pour everything you can into teaching your children the Bible!

3 comments:

  1. I've been struggling with the perception that stay at home mothers who are believers should homeschool their children. Those who send their children to a public school are doomed for failure. In any case, I've seen outcomes fail on both ends and succeed. My children will know about the goodness of the Lord not just by what I say but by what I show in our home. In revealing love, humility, grace, forgiveness, the things that allow us to become Christ-like are the things that will make us available, willing, servants for this world. We're here to advance the
    kindgom of God. Serving the unbeliever and bringing them to a knowledge of Christ. If that means my children are in public school doing it, then I become more confident in my decision. Does that mean I won't step in and change my decision if I see rising issues? Certainly not! I will always advocate for what's best for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teaching our children goes beyond the academics :)
      Academics is really only a very small percentage of all that we teach our kids.

      Mostly this post was to encourage parents to get in the Word with their kids teaching them about our God's character, what He has done in the past, and all that He does in us and through us today.

      Every family is different.
      God has everyone in different places for a reason.
      Just do what He is telling you to do!
      Thankfully there is not confusion in that. That's what I always fall back on.

      I love you very much Mama Cita!!

      Delete
  2. It all starts in the home. Lots of prayers over our babies hearts and steps. I agree.

    ReplyDelete